I Love BLOggiNg....



Catch me if U can!!

Friday, August 05, 2011

7 Common Questions during a Job Interview , Best Answers

Were you ever stammered by a question during a Job Interview? Have you ever felt bad that you know you heard the same question before, during a job interview, yet until now you don’t know how to answer it? Have you ever tried googling up answers online yet you get sites asking you to download and PDF files or articles that don’t give you exact answers to your questions? Have you ever dreamt of nailing a Job Interview? Have you ever dreamt of having your dream job?
Job Interviewers not only check on your reactions to each question. But, they look into the content of your answers. There are some Job Interviewers who are intimidating and that being said to be ready for a Job Interview you have to know the basics. You can also click on the link to know the basics. To summarize everything be ready know the basic responsibilities of the position, at least research on the background of the company. Be physically and emotionally ready, eat and think positive. Eliminate negative thoughts constantly tell yourself that you’ll be at your best. Be confident, another way to build confidence is to know your weaknesses. As you know a lot of questions will be asked during a Job Interview, would it be nice to answer them better this time? The following are the common questions asked during a Job Interview, the answers have been thoroughly researched by someone who hates getting caught at the middle again during a job interview, my sister.  


 1. Tell me something about yourself
 – This is a very common question and you may find this easy to answer but the best way to organize your answer is to start by telling a short background about yourself. Where you grew up, your nickname, educational background and then your work experience/s. It would be better to talk about your work experience/s related to the job you are applying for. Give 3 qualities you have when it comes to work and give 3 tasks you do related to the Job you are applying for and then wrap it up with what you do when you are stressed out, you could start by saying "I have a strong passion for music and listening to a good music has always been my stress buster". You can say playing with my kids or hanging out with friends, it depends on what you do when you are stressed out.

 
2. What is your expected salary? -
The general rule here is to never say digits, unless you know the duties and responsibilities of the job and if the Interviewer insists for the second time that you answer the question. Remember, it would be better that they be the first one to tell how much they could offer for the job. You could say; "I’m sure you must be having standards that meet people’s ability and experience. May I know what does this position pay?". Throw  the question back to the interviewer. If the Interviewer insists, that you answer the question. It would be better to say;  "Well, that’s something I’ve thought long and hard about and I think someone with my experience should get between X and Y."

3. What are your strengths and weaknesses?
 Another thing you should remember about job interviews is that, you should be answering  questions in a positive way. When it comes to strengths before the job interview you should have already thought of 3 strengths which may be somewhat related to the job. The following are strengths which you could say if asked with this question. Remember to be honest; Teamplayer, ability to prioritize, planning skills, organized, multitasking skills, flexible, assuming responsibilities and duties, able to adjust, capacity to cope with failures and trying to learn from past mistakes, disciplined, self motivated and determined, good listener, charismatic, professional, cooperative, hardworking nature, success oriented, dedication to achieve goals, natural leader, empathy, good in problem solving, work under pressure, professional expertise, leadership, positive attitude, interpersonal skills, knowledge skills and personal attributes, time management.


When it comes to weaknesses, just be honest about your weaknesses. But still, make sure you sell yourself. You have to keep in mind that your credibility is important and in times like this you have to uphold it. So after saying a weakness, show what you are doing to overcome it. Like you can say;"I have had trouble in the past with planning and prioritization. However, I’m now taking steps to correct this. I just started using a pocket planner . . . then show them your planner and how you are using it".

When asked with this question, I always say;"sometimes I can’t tolerate employees who under-perform due to reasons such as lack of attitude, approach, carelessness. In short, repeated irresponsible behaviors at a workplace is simply, unacceptable to me and puts me off and away from a co- employee, colleagues or subordinates. What I do is, I try my best not to focus on this. I believe that it would better to set a good example for my co-employees to follow". Another example would be; " I tend to ask a lot of questions. It might seem that I come off as a little slow, but I just want to make sure the job I am giving is done correctly and efficiently. That the outcome will be for the best".
You can also mention a personal weaknesses like "I have a real weakness for chocolate that tends to go right to my waist! I'm watching my calories carefully these days!" or "I've never been good with accounting. I'm glad this job doesn't involve accounting." Or "I have a tendency to take on too much on my own. I am working on this by delegating more."

This question is actually my favorite question.

4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
 The reason why they ask this question is to check if you are goal-oriented person. You have to answer this question by including in your goals that you see yourself successfully in the job you are applying for. You can then add the personal goals you have which will not conflict your job. You can say, I see myself hanging out with my family in our own house after work etc.

5. How do you solve problems?
This question is asked to check on your ability in problem solving. It’s a typical we can ask anyone and is related as well to how you handle problems in life. Remember not complicate your answer. You just have to think of the basics. Here's how you can answer this question; "I focuse on the most important one, the one that needs immediate attention, multitask by doing the routinary tasks or responsibilities and then work on the least important ones. Prioritization is a critical factor which has to be considered when dealing with problems".  Remember not to talk too much when answering this question. Giving examples or scenarios might get you off track.

6. Why did you leave your previous Job?
Never Sour Grape about you previous company. If you are to say something negative about the company you previously worked with. Just talk about one company you worked with and not all the companies you have been with. You can say; " I really don’t know how to say this but, to be honest. A lot of us resigned due to the delay in pay, I wasn’t paid for almost a month and a half. I tried to understand the company but it seems like, this has been an ongoing problem since. So instead, I decided to apply for another job."


For a question like this the best answer is your honesty, but you have to be careful of your choice of words, make it sound positive, you should not look irresponsible or confused about what you want. Your answer may also depend on your research about the job and the company. An example would be "I left my job because I had to travel for 4 hours everyday, I don’t want to move away from home because I want to stay with the ones who inspire me, my family " when you know the company interviewing is just 15 minutes away from home. It’s like looking for a factor that the previous company didn’t have. That’s the reason why it is  important to research about the company try to research on the benefits, the responsibilities and the location etc.

7. Do you have any questions for me?
 The answer should be always Yes, you have to show the interviewer that you are really are interested in the position offered and that you want to know more about the team. Questions such as; How many people work in this company?. How soon are you looking to fill the position?. Show that you are interested top join the Team.
For Clarification/Concerns/Elaboration you can ask questions such as; Is there anything else you need to understand my suitability for the position?.
For decisions you can ask questions like; When can I expect to hear from you? When can you expect to make your final decision?. The answer to these questions, will at least give you an idea on whether or not you got the job. I’m sure you’ll get the Job, if you just follow these tips.


REMEMBER : REHEARSE YOUR ANSWERS

Good Luck and should you have any questions leave me a comment. I’ll be happy to give you more tips. Take care!

No comments: