I Love BLOggiNg....



Catch me if U can!!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Glowing RocKs

I know this title  may sound boring to you. Anyways, Joanne asked me to write an article about this and since I'm in the mood and quite fascinated by it. I did some research on it and decided to educate us more about Rocks. I hope I won't sidetrack as I go along with this topic and I hope that you guys will enjoy.. be prepared to be fascinated!

Bach when I was a kid I saw this Filipino Movie it was a story about a guy who loves collecting rocks. He was fascinated by it's form, colors and characteristics.That he even collected big rocks.. actually big rocks. I always thought Filipino Movies were corny but as I grew up I soon then got introduced to this kind of hobby. Rock collecting, its dangerous but really fun and educating. 


There are actually different kinds of rocks and I'm sure some of you still remember things about sedimentary rocks etc.the  things we learn in school.

Metamorphic,igneous or sedimentary  rocks are Older Rocks they are changed by great heat and pressure. The reason why most rocks found beneath the earth's surface makes crystals in the rock is because of the heat and pressure beneath the earth. Theoretically speaking if A rock  already has crystals in it the crystals become bigger and larger.

The best way to define a rock (before I talk about how rocks glow and become luminous)  is that it is an indefinite mixture of naturally occurring substances, mainly minerals. The reason why we should know about this is because the term Rock Collection is usually misused for mineral collection. Although a few people collect rocks the amount of people collecting minerals is much greater and why???... well its because Minerals are an economic commodity, there are about 3,000 different types of minerals and new ones are constantly discovered.In general, the only people interested in rocks are geologists and paleontologist but nowadays it's a hobby. A rock containing flourescent minerals is expensive... and i'll let you know later how to identify one and how to find one!!

There are several ways wherein  minerals can emit light.

1. Florescence - The light from ultraviolet lamps reacts with the chemicals ofa mineral and causes the mineral to glow.
2. Phospherescence - If the mineral continues to glow after the light has been removed.
3. Thermoluminescence - If the mineral glows when heated
4. Triboluminescence - If the minerals glow after they are stuck or crushed.

I will be talking about Flourescent Minerals which are minerals that emit a visible light when activated by ultraviolet light which is long wave... the black light. You would notice black lights used in bars or clubs. I was amazed by it when Joanne showed me one. anyways, Collecting flourescent minerals is a popular hobby and if you are an experienced collector of rocks im sure you use Flourescence for identification purposes. It is actually a viable prospecting technique. So for now u need a UV light you know those things they use to check whether a money is fake or not. You could actually buy one if you want to try this hobby don't forget your chisel you might need one... okay moving on.

Tenebrescent is when the rock changes into a different color when exposed to a Uv light. Short Uv light may be blinding so I rather you choose long UV light.
The following are flourescent minerals which glow in UVlight. You could click on the links I have at the bottom of this article to see how it looks like... it's cool and amazing.

BENITOITE ,SCHEELITE ,WILLEMITE,CALCITE,FRANKLINITE ,ADAMITE ,FLUORITE
SODALITE ,HARDYSTONITE ,SCAPOLITE ,GYPSUM ,ZIPPEITE


Unfortunately I wasn't able to find an article about places you go to here in the Philippines to be able to find one. I believe though that there are lots of places here in Benguet and Mt Province, you could also find rocks like this in deep water inlets. If you would really like to try this hobby first you have to be fascinated by it passion comes in through fascination.  The reason I say its dangerous is because sometimes you really have to look into caves and take the risk although its dark. But I'm sure it would really be rewarding to find one. I remember when I was a  kid we always get fascinated with rocks that are really different, how I wish I knew about this before. Anyways, here's a hint I found upon researching on this. Handheld UV lamps run on 12 volt DC, or direct current. In practical terms this means one of the filaments in the tube will wear out before the other. If you reverse the tube when the output begins to dim, you can extend its life.

In Greenland you would really find a lot of rocks like this with different kinds of minerals. There are also organizations in the states that share their collections with kids.

If ever Joanne would think of pursuing this kind of hobby I would suggest she put all her collections in a museum. Instead of selling it. Rocks are so relaxing the reason why they put lots of rocks in spas etc. Just imagine a museum full of Uv lights,,, that would be COOL too...




:~~ Random Thoughts ~~:
~~  Rocks are everywhere and are free
~~  And rocks are like people the Best and Unique ones are hard to find.
~~  leave a  Comment for me

~~  Rocks... Rocks...  Rocks...
~~ See you next Blog! :)
 
anyways here are the links:
 sorry no pics so far :( just links

http://users.rcn.com/kenx/
http://www.minershop.com/history.pdf
http://www.galleries.com/minerals/property/fluoresc.htm
http://www.minerals.net/resource/what_is_.htm
http://www.solarviews.com/eng/meteor.htm





Here's a mineral table to be able to identifythe mineral under UV light:

http://www.galleries.com/minerals/property/fluotabl.htm#short

 

No comments: